Saturday, July 13, 2013

ARC Review of Awaken by Meg Cabot


Awaken (Abandon Trilogy, #3)
AWAKEN (#3)
By: Meg Cabot
Review by: Kaede 
Release Date: July 2nd, 2013
Publisher: Point 
Pages: 343
Format: e-ARC
Source: NetGalley (Thank you, Scholastic!) 

 
Death has her in his clutches. She doesn’t want him to let go.

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera knew by accepting the love of John Hayden, she’d be forced to live forever in the one place she’s always dreaded most: the Underworld. The sacrifice seemed worth it, though, because it meant she could be with the boy she loves.

But now her happiness — and safety — are threatened, all because the Furies have discovered that John has broken one of their strictest rules: He revived a human soul.

If the balance between life and death isn’t fixed, both the Underworld and Pierce’s home back on earth will be wiped away. But there’s only one way to restore order. Someone has to die.
As far as conclusions go, I honestly think AWAKEN was done very well. A fantastic wrap-up of the series, it leaves you with a sense of closure but also the promise that the story doesn't just end with the last world. The characters' journeys will continue, and maybe even one day they'll return to tell us about all that they've seen since the last time we saw them. But for now, this is the right time to say goodbye. 

Something I found myself doing a lot while I was reading that I didn't expect was laughing. It isn't to say ABANDON and UNDERWORLD didn't have moments where it was funny, but they definitely couldn't compare to AWAKEN for me. Although, as a whole, I wouldn't say comedy and humor are this series's main priority or strong point, so I can't really hold anything against the first two books for not being as amusing as the last. 

There were a few issues I had with AWAKEN, one of them particularly perplexing to me. If something seems odd or unusual, chances are that something is likely off about the picture. I watched as Pierce would think about how something looked out of place and then the next second she'd forget all about it on a few occasions and I didn't understand why. 

However, AWAKEN was also filled with action and suspense that managed to keep me interested all the way through. I kept flipping pages, curious to see what would happen next. As far as characters went, Pierce definitely isn't my favorite heroine of all time, but she isn't the worst. I definitely do prefer the secondary characters when it comes to this series though.

I really liked Cabot's writing style in AWAKEN, and the overall way she presented the finale to her series. Problems were wrapped up nicely with resolutions and answers were given so that there would be little to no questions left. Although I still can't figure out why I found some of things John said so funny. All in all, if you enjoyed ABANDON, I would encourage you to continue on to AWAKEN. While this series isn't an absolutely favorite, I certainly don't regret reading it. 


4 coffee cups! 

*An advance copy of this book was provided  for review. However, all opinions remain honest and my own.*

~♥~


Contact Kaede: 
Email: kimberlyho75@yahoo.com
Goodreads: Kaede
Twitter: Kami178xx



1 comment:

  1. I saw your Underworld review and I was curious so I got the first book from the library!

    I hope I like it.

    But I love you review!

    Great job!

    New reader,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete