Thursday, June 20, 2013

ARC Review of Rules of Entanglement by Gina L. Maxwell

Rules of Entanglement (Fighting for Love, #2)RULES OF ENTANGLEMENT (#2)
By: Gina L. Maxwell
Review by: Kaede
Release Date: March 31st, 2013

Publisher: Entangled Publishing/ Brazen
Pages: 247
Format: e-ARC
Source: NetGalley (Thank you, Entangled!)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Seven days. And seven rules to break...
District Attorney Vanessa McGregor firmly believes that structure and order are the stuff that dreams are made of. Happiness can be planned - and it starts with seven rules she's laid out for her future. But as she's organizing her best friend's wedding in Hawaii, all of Vanessa's best-laid plans are about to meet their match in a wickedly hot MMA fighter...
Jackson "Jax" Maris is focused on surfing, training and fighting. That is, until he opens up his big mouth, and finds himself having to pretend he's engaged to his little sister's best friend, Vanessa. When they're force to share a romantic bungalow, however, their little charade suddenly takes a turn for the seriously sexy. And while Jax is definitely not part of Vanessa's long-term plan, he has seven days - and seven naughty nights - to turn her seven-rule plan upside down.
"Always, always, always...tell her how much you love her, now and forever, before it's too late."

7 rules to never break. To Vanessa McGregor, they are what she's lived her life and made decisions by. And she has followed them all...until she met Jackson Maris. 

Jackson is everything Vanessa doesn't need, a potential contender to break her Number 1 rule. But maybe, just maybe, beneath the layer of denial, he's exactly what she wants. 

Since Vanessa is a lawyer, I thought it'd be interesting if we got to see a flashback of a past case or a look at a current one that somehow managed to work it's way into the story. (If we did get one than obviously I need to focus more or I'm losing my mind. One or the other.) There were small ways Vanessa's occupation was made relevant (such as her nickname, Viper), but there were times where I felt as if it was just a detail thrown in for the hell of it. What did I really enjoy though was the slow unravel of Vanessa's seven rules. Most of them were predictable (although I didn't guess where the rules originated from), but it was entertaining nonetheless. 

"For what it's worth, I'd rather fight and lose than never step inside the cage."

Jackson is a surfer and fighter, but also quite sweet. Because Jackson and Vanessa's relationship started on a moment's lie, I was slightly hesitant, but well pleased with the turn-out.

I find that I'm usually not very critical when it comes to Brazen titles. I love how most of their series can be read as standalone, or together for a more complete story (I have read so many backwards but still gotten something more out of each book that adds to the previous.) I don't expect to be left speechless when I pick up something from the Brazen line, but I do expect an engaging romance with characters I am genuinely rooting for, and a story that will compel me to keep turning those pages. So far Brazen has yet to fail to reach my expectation, and I'm hoping it never does. But I think it's pretty safe to say it won't. 

If you are looking for your next steamy romance for a day wherever (it could be sitting on your coach for all it matters), I would recommend RULES OF ENTANGLEMENT so you can see just how many of Vanessa's rules Jackson can break in one week. And while you're at that, I think I'll pick up the first book in this series, SEDUCING CINDERELLA, and read about Reid and Lucie's story and where it all began. 


4 coffee cups! 

**An advance copy of this book was provided  for review. However, all opinions remain honest and my own.**

~♥~


Contact Kaede: 
Email: kimberlyho75@yahoo.com
Goodreads: Kaede
Twitter: Kami178xx

No comments:

Post a Comment